Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - To all owners 37 to 48 feet - toe rail
30 November 2010 - 20:44

To all owners 37 to 48 feet - toe rail

Hello all -

Forum activity related to my previous toe rail post shows a few things: 1) many of us have issues with our toe rails 2) Nautors has stopped supplying toe rails 3) some now are being forced to very non-standard repairs as a result.

Since there are so many boats that use this particular cross section toe rail, it occurred to me to see if there are 100 of us altogether in all these sizes that might see the need for toe rail extrusions - if so, we could probably buy up a mill run as a group - otherwise, Nautors won't run it, and we are stuck.

So, if you have a boat in this range, and if you have toe rail issues right now or on the horizon, please give me some feedback on your interest in doing something like this - If we had to finance the run, we theoretically could own our own stock on the shelf at Nautor (obviously to be negotiated).

Thanks, and Fair Winds -

Geoff

Corazon 411 #41

30 November 2010 - 20:48

Hello all -

Forum activity related to my previous toe rail post shows a few things: 1) many of us have issues with our toe rails 2) Nautors has stopped supplying toe rails 3) some now are being forced to very non-standard repairs as a result.

Since there are so many boats that use this particular cross section toe rail, it occurred to me to see if there are 100 of us altogether in all these sizes that might see the need for toe rail extrusions - if so, we could probably buy up a mill run as a group - otherwise, Nautors won't run it, and we are stuck.

So, if you have a boat in this range, and if you have toe rail issues right now or on the horizon, please give me some feedback on your interest in doing something like this - If we had to finance the run, we theoretically could own our own stock on the shelf at Nautor (obviously to be negotiated).

Thanks, and Fair Winds -

Geoff

Corazon 411 #41

By my fast count, there are 434 boats in the size range of interest - so slightly less than 25% of us would probably be enough to get the material.....1 in 4.  Well, I know I am 1.....

Geoff

04 December 2010 - 11:44

Geoff

The idea of getting a batch of toe rails extruded is a good one, and it is suggested you also consider the associated operations required to make the rails ready for use, i.e. drilling, bending, and anodizing.

Drilling and bending is required before anodizing, and anodizing tanks long enough are required for the rails. The yard closed down its anodizing plant a few years ago, and another place able to achieve a thickness of 25 my for long objects would be required. The bolt size and countersinking has to be decided when drilling the bolt holes, and it would be advisable to make the countersinking for plastic washers under the bolt heads, thereby eliminating corrosion problems around the bolts.

Kind regards

Lars

09 December 2010 - 22:38

News flash - I contacted Jamestown Boat Yard, and they in turn contacted Nautors, who quoted them a new full set of toe rails and hardware for my boat......so the story that you can't get them is no longer accurate. My boat is in the Great Lakes, though. I wonder if my local yard here will be able to get a quote also - Jamestown does a lot of Swan work, whereas Manitowoc does not.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this along right away.

Geoff
Corazon
Swan 411 #41

12 December 2010 - 09:03

Dear Geoff,

how much do they quoted you for the bare toe rails and bolts (if I can ask)?

Thanks a lot and Fair Winds

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

12 December 2010 - 11:24

$12,500.00 plus tax, duty, freight,

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0