Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Life-raft for a 41
02 December 2010 - 14:57

Life-raft for a 41

To all,

I have seen a few exchanges on liferafts in this forum and I was wondering if any owner of a Swan 41 had recently replaced its liferaft.

There is a life-raft locker on starboard in the cockpit. If I have measured it correctly, its dimensions are 82x34x36cm. 

I am looking to buy a new liferaft for 6 and I am struggling to find a liferaft that can fit in the locker. It seems that sea safe life rafts in bags (not containers) offer dimensions which come the closest (76x43x43) but I am not convinced it can fit in the locker.

Has anyone had to address any similar issue and what was the outcome?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Kind regards.

Christophe 

03 December 2010 - 12:09

Christophe,
if the life-raft locker on starboard in the cockpit is the same on the 41 and the 411 (i don't have the dimensions here) then VIKING, 6 persons RescYou™ Pro is the only one I found that will fit.

Kind regards.

Pippo / NAOMI 411/22

04 December 2010 - 11:39

Christophe,

on our 41/022 we have modified the original space for the liferaft into a place to store mooring ropes, and bought a standard zodiac liferaft in a canister which is stored on the roof via a stainless steel structure, between the central hatch and the companion way' hatch. There is just enough space when the hood is raised, to be able to open the central hatch.

The modification to the cover consisted in cutting the vertical part, bolting it to the boat, and adding hinges to the horizontal part.

Hope this is clear (sorry for my poor technical english!). Can send you pictures if needed (but not before january).

Kind regards.

Philippe.

04 December 2010 - 11:52

Christophe,

I foud two pictures in my PC which could help. At the time our liferaft was a Plastimo, now a Zodiac with identical dimensions.

Kind regards. Philippe.

06 December 2010 - 22:21

Thank you Pippo and Philippe for your input.
Indeed, for the time being I am still trying to find a bag for 6 that can fit within the locker. I went to the Paris Sailing fair last week-end and have noticed that Sea Safe are making the smallest bags available on the market. Unfortunately the Vikings are too large. Hence I am going to try and fit one Sea Safe in the locker over Christmas. I will let you know the outcome so information can be shared with all other Swan 41 owners.
Best regards.
Christophe

23 January 2011 - 18:56

I have now double-checked and it appears that there is no current raft for 6 able to be stored in the locker. Even the Sea-safe bag (the smallest I found on the market) doesn't fit. Hence, I will have to store one on the deck as suggested.

Best regards.

Christophe

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2