Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - New Swan 44 owner
17 January 2011 - 16:42

New Swan 44 owner
Hello All,
It's done...
My wife and I just signed for a S&S Swan 44 (hull #63, "Dream of Swan"), built in 1974. We will sail her to her mooring at Port Leucate (French Med.) in mid february and it's hard for both of us to wait one more month !

I'm really happy also to discover this website and all of the informations and frienship provided here is a treasure for us.

This boat is in quite good conditions, specially when you consider it's a 35 years old lady.
The teack deck has been refitted in 98, brand new engine (Volvo d2-55) and the rig seems to be OK (not original).

For now, I think we can sail this boat for the spring and summer (Balearic Islands, Corsica, familly cruising) until next winter when I plan to do some work :
- remove the mast and fix corrosion problems on the mast "shoe" (don't know if the word is correct, in French : "emplanture"). Not a big deal, not as corroded as the one I saw on this site pics, but I won't leave it like that one more year.
- Fix galvanic corrosion problems between stainless steel plates and aluminium mast. Also : it can wait one year.
- scratch the hull to remove almost 20 layers of hard antifooling paint.

We are trying to get free time to sail to Elba Island at the end of june (S&S Swan Rendez-vous)... not done because we are both very busy, but still keep hope to be able to do it.

If someone has informations about the history of our boat, it would be very appreciated.

Cheers

Laurence & Fabrice

17 January 2011 - 16:48

Dear Laurence & Fabrice,

welcome to this Forum (hope you will join the Association too!).

For your knowledge 44/063 original name was "Gatsby".

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

17 January 2011 - 21:08

Congratulations!

Is this your first Swan (as my 411 was, which I dreamed of for as long as I had been sailing....many years)? What other boats did you sail before buying this beautiful boat?

Best of luck with her, I believe you will be very happy -

Geoff McLaughlin
Corazon, 411 #41

18 January 2011 - 14:56

Matteo,

Thank you for your welcome words and the informations about the history of 44/063, "Dream of Swan".
I just registered for the association and will soon be able to send you some pictures.

Geoff,

Yes, Dream of Swan is my first Swan, but I already sailed before on S&S Swans, mainly during winter ragattas/training at Marseille and Deauville when I was a teenager, ...and didn't stop dreaming about them.
My 3 previous boats were : Sangria (23 ft, P. Harlé, "hiva-oa"), Carter 33 (D. Carter, "Ipon"), Karaté MKI (33 ft, M. Bigouin, "Swanee") which is still for sale :
( http://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/164833950.htm?ca=13_s )

As you can see, I'm pretty addicted to 70th hull designs... ;-)

For now, we are eager to sail her and, yes, we are sure she will give us a lot of happiness.

Best regards and fair winds !

Fabrice

30 March 2011 - 23:12

Hello All, It's done... My wife and I just signed for a S&S Swan 44 (hull #63, "Dream of Swan"), built in 1974. We will sail her to her mooring at Port Leucate (French Med.) in mid february and it's hard for both of us to wait one more month ! I'm really happy also to discover this website and all of the informations and frienship provided here is a treasure for us. This boat is in quite good conditions, specially when you consider it's a 35 years old lady. The teack deck has been refitted in 98, brand new engine (Volvo d2-55) and the rig seems to be OK (not original). For now, I think we can sail this boat for the spring and summer (Balearic Islands, Corsica, familly cruising) until next winter when I plan to do some work : - remove the mast and fix corrosion problems on the mast "shoe" (don't know if the word is correct, in French : "emplanture"). Not a big deal, not as corroded as the one I saw on this site pics, but I won't leave it like that one more year. - Fix galvanic corrosion problems between stainless steel plates and aluminium mast. Also : it can wait one year. - scratch the hull to remove almost 20 layers of hard antifooling paint. We are trying to get free time to sail to Elba Island at the end of june (S&S Swan Rendez-vous)... not done because we are both very busy, but still keep hope to be able to do it. If someone has informations about the history of our boat, it would be very appreciated. Cheers Laurence & Fabrice

Hi Laurence and Fabrice,

Congratulations on your 44'. I am the owner of hull# 53 ( Rosy Pelican) and will be around Elba and Santo Stefano in late august 2011. It might be fun to meet up if you are going to be there. Then we cruise ( at least such is the plan at the moment) down to Amalfi then back to Sardinia. We start from Antibes on 15 Aug.

Meanwhile here is a picture from last year in baie de Morlais

Best wishes, Nicholas

30 March 2011 - 23:17

Hi Nicholas,

welcome to this Forum!

hope you will became a Member of the S&S Swan Association too...and if you are in the Med you should think to join us to the S&S Swan Rendez-vous in Elba, June 29th - July 2nd, it'll be a great Party!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)!

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2