Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Broken Seacock
22 January 2011 - 15:28

Broken Seacock
Hello everyone. I had a very nasty surprise last week when I tried to open the seacock in the toilets of our 41/022: it just broke under the handle (see picture). Looks like dezincification?? I thought these seacocks were bronze so should resist sea water corrosion. Have I done something wrong?? Is there any specific maintenance apart from cleaning and greasing every year, or should one use a specific grease. Should I change all my seacocks although the others look fine?? Thank you for any information, and happy new year to all.

22 January 2011 - 16:34

It is very unusual but it may happen; consider that 30 years of life is quite a long time for any kind of seacock.
Looking at your picture it seems that there was an axial bore inside the square insert to which the handle is fixed. This is unusual and for sure it weakens a part subject to possible strong torsion.
Still from your picture, there appears to be a green/blue bleeding (copper sulfate) which should always be interpreted as a warning message. Bronze (of which your old seacocks are made) does not contain zinc but it contains copper which, in normal conditions, is not supposed to bleed like that.
My recommendation is: 1) try to find the reason of the bleeding, 2) keep the usual yearly maintenance already mentioned, 3) use the best grease you may find, and 4) never tighten the two bolts in order to avoid freezing the cone. Hand tightening is sufficient most of the time. If a seacock freezes, your experience confirms that it should be freed by pushing it with a rod from outside and never by forcing the handle.

Daniel, 411/004

23 January 2011 - 11:30

Dear Philippe

Compared to my appended picture your handle arrangement looks strange, or do your other seacocks also have such long spindles?

The visible parts of the seacock is not in the water, and should not suffer from corrosion unless it is leaking constantly.

The choice of grease has importance, graphite based should NOT be used, it causes corrosion on most materials because it is at the top of the galvanic scale.

Blake sells seacock grease with their own name on the pot.

If suspecting dezincification the advice is to regularly regularly use brute force on the seacock in order to find weakness. It is preferable that it breaks under controlled conditions, and not when the yacht is on its own, or in hard weather. Dezincification proceeds slowly, and testing every six months should be sufficient.

It is not a bad idea to test the strength of seacocks and associated seawater plumbing also when they look fine.

Best regards

Lars

23 January 2011 - 11:31

Dear Philippe

Compared to my appended picture your handle arrangement looks strange, or do your other seacocks also have such long spindles?

The visible parts of the seacock is not in the water, and should not suffer from corrosion unless it is leaking constantly.

The choice of grease has importance, graphite based should NOT be used, it causes corrosion on most materials because it is at the top of the galvanic scale.

Blake sells seacock grease with their own name on the pot.

If suspecting dezincification the advice is to regularly regularly use brute force on the seacock in order to find weakness. It is preferable that it breaks under controlled conditions, and not when the yacht is on its own, or in hard weather. Dezincification proceeds slowly, and testing every six months should be sufficient.

It is not a bad idea to test the strength of seacocks and associated seawater plumbing also when they look fine.

Best regards

Lars

23 January 2011 - 13:58

Thank you Daniel and Professor for this quick reaction.

The hole is indeed in the center of the square which is hollow (not a very good design I agree). It broke just with a slight hand push! The spindle is the piece of wood I inserted to stop the leak. This seacock was never fully watertight despite numerous grindings with grinding paste so that could be part of the explanation? What worries me is not to know the cause, and wondering whether this is not going to happen to others. I have not used graphite grease.

Did other owners sometime have the same problem? It could be part of the answer...

I will definitely "shock" test the others, and I also have bought Blakes' grease as I ordered a new seacock. Have you heard about "zinc rich grease" which could offer some electolytic protection??

Kind regards.

Philippe

23 January 2011 - 18:04

I am also curious to hear other people but for the time being I would not worry too much. Your experience suggests that it would be a good practice to inspect the bottom of the hollow part of the cone of all seacocks we have. It should be solid and almost flat, without axial bores that enter the square part reducing its effective cross section.
The inspection can be carried easily through the open lateral port of the cone. To become even more assured, one could measure the thickness of the bottom with a caliper; I expect it to be several millimeters.

Daniel, 411/004

23 January 2011 - 19:26

Dear Philippe

Thank you for informing what the center pin is. It sounds like you had it handy, and could insert it quickly. Good preparation!

The area of the broken surface indicates that the material has deteriorated substantially here.

It would be advisable to check the remaining thickness around the hole, and the strength of the edges. If they can be broken off easily this would mean there is dezincification, and the material is not bronze.

What about the outer part of the sea cock, has it deteriorated also?

You could take chips of the material to a test lab for analysis, the zinc content would be of interest here, but it is unlikely that the manufacturer will consider this a warranty.

It would be advisable to take out the conical center pieces of the other sea cocks and try to determine how thick they are in this specific area, and if they have deteriorated in the same way. The broken one lasted for some 37 years.

There is normally some variations in the alloy content when casting, and this may affect the individual longevity of these pieces.

If you can connect a zinc anode to the sea cocks this would prevent dezincification. There has to be good electrical conductivity between zinc and cock, and a zinc must be close to each one of the parts to be protected. A zinc fastened into the upper cavity of the center piece with a screw would probably meet this requirement while not affecting the function of the cock.

A zinc anode does not, however, bring back the zinc that has already disappeared from the alloy.

It would require quick action to remove the center piece for inspection of the zinc with the yacht in the water.

Best regards

Lars

24 January 2011 - 09:19

Dear Daniel, and Professor,

here is another clue to what seems to me some sort of dezincification: a picture of the handle side of the square. No problem with the thickness but cristals were looking rather red (ie copper?) when they broke. I will definitely look at the possibility of putting zinc anodes, as some are no bigger than pencils and could possibly go in the middle of the cone of the seacock without interfering too much with the cross section. Unfortunaltely probably not for the toilets...

Thank you so much for exchanging ideas, despite the fact that I agree that more than 30 years in the seawater without problem is already a very good performance!

25 January 2011 - 09:25

Dear Philippe

Thank you for posting the picture of the broken handle

It can be seen that the direction of the handle is not close to diagonal to the square, but considerably out of line, meaning it is bent to the side.

This is likely to be the result of using tools, probably a hammer, in trying to make the frozen cock move. It is possible that this at some stage has caused cracking in the area that now broke, and sea water has penetrated the cracking and given the impression that the sea cock leaks.

You commented that grinding of the conical surfaces did not stop the leak.

The metal surface in the cracked area generally does not look fresh. You describe it as being red, but the colour indicating dezincification is pink.

I would still be interested to hear in what condition the material around the crack is. If of normal strength it is likely that the scenario above is behind this.

Best regards

Lars

25 January 2011 - 13:24

I continue being impressed by the presence of the axial bore; first of all, it should not be there.
I agree with Lars comment that it is likely that a past forcing of the seacock may have caused a small crack in the weakened square stem that revealed itself through the leak. In the long run the crack developed into the complete failure you experienced.
This is a good lesson to learn: always find the primary cause of any leak, even the smallest.

Daniel, 411/004

27 January 2011 - 11:53

Dear Philippe

Nothing lasts for ever!  These Blakes seacocks are the best available. I fitted 3 to my last boat (steel) and they lasted 25 years with absolutely no problems. They are always easy to dis-assemble, unlike many modern alternatives. Just try some of the plastic ones!

The seacocks on my 41 have all been replaced with quarter turn stainless steel ball valves. These are quite good, but the use of stainless in sea water where there is no oxygen flow can result in corrosion.

If I was you, I would replace the seacocks with new Blakes

regards Cosmo Little

14 March 2011 - 19:05

We have now replaced this broken seacock by a new Blake bronze valve (I am also rather terrified by corrosion of stainless steel by oxygen deprivation!) I thought it would be interesting to share some information (and questions!).

1/ All Blake bronze valves are hollow at the level of the square where the handle is fitted, including the new ones. (Same thickness of metal all around...) see picture below.

2/ I believe that the primary reason for the breakage of this sea cock to happen was hammering of the cone, probably attempting to unblock the valve (following poor maintenance) which created a crack.

Now the question: following Lars suggestion I broke the cone with a hammer (which was not that difficult: as it seemed a littled bit brittle, but did not wish to do a comparison with the new one!). The grain of the metal looks a bit rosy, but sanding the cone gave it its original gold color. See second picture. Does this show some sort of desincification? That's for Lars??

All in all I fully agree that more than 30 years of good service is already a fine performance!

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2