Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Stern frame for cruising gear
06 February 2011 - 11:59

Stern frame for cruising gear
On many cruising boats you see steel frames over the stern or incorporated into the pushpit, on which people mount solar panels, wind generators, radar domes, gps antennas, etc, etc.
I have never seen a S+S Swan with this, presumably because the stern is much narrower than most cruising boats, particularly modern ones.
Has anyone made this addition successfully ?     I mean something functional which also does not spoil the looks of the boat completely.
Thanks
Richard

06 February 2011 - 23:43

Richard

I have friends with non Swan boats who have what you are talking about. I think you hit the nail on the head with the aesthetic question. These boats are so nice looking, I think many of us want to keep that in place as much as possible. But you need to have the gear you need too. I think even with her narrower stern, you could get a functional frame put up that could hold a lot of gear. I am thinking now that I have seen a photo of a Swan set up this way. If I find it again I will post it. I have been thinking along the same lines, wanting to install radar and solar panels at least - but if I figured if I do a frame, I can also hang a rigid hull tender off the back end, which I would like very much to have. Even with all that, I have decided in the end to find other ways to get the gear on, and to keep her looking as she does. The most I might do is a single post, about 6 feet high on the starboard side. I have seen several of these and think they look ok. Anyway, it's personal. You can always put it up for a big trip around the world or what have you, and then remove it later...

Best of luck no matter what you decide,

Geoff
Corzon 411 #41

07 February 2011 - 09:57

Dear all,

An idea perhaps: I have seen a swan with a bimini that was mounted on the toerail and with solarpanels on top of the bimini. I thought it was a nice solution considering the fact that a bimini is needed and the swans have short booms.

An other possibility I saw on a norlin 37 were solarpanels mounted on the lifelines, between the last stanchion and the front side of the pushpit.

I don't have photo however.

regards,

Jan Kooistra

swan38/yulunga

21 February 2011 - 17:11

Hello everybody,

here a few pics about our solarpanels on the large bimini. This setup is very light, comparable pleasing to the eye and did 45.000nm incl. our circumnavigation with no issues, even in 55+ between Tonga and New Zealand so far. Panels are Sunpower 4x90W, making the boat almost self sustained, despite fridge, 30l watermaker, washingmachine. The boat is S&S - 47/013 VERA

Best regards,
Michael

26 February 2011 - 11:13

Hi Michael.

Looks great from above, would it be possible for you to post some pictures from the side and aft so we get an idea of the support structure??

We are planning an offshore adventure and are looking for solar panel Bimini solutions as well.

All the best
Mike and the crew of Storm Svale.

27 February 2011 - 15:08

Hi Mike,
here are a few more pics. Boat looks dirty, do to lots of miles, sorry for that. Refit is underway.
Best regards,
Michael

27 February 2011 - 15:09

+ some details

01 March 2011 - 09:42

Thanks Michael

Very helpful.

Cheers
Mike

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1