Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Looking for good boatyard US East Coast
10 February 2011 - 17:10

Looking for good boatyard US East Coast

Dear Friends

I have a Swan 57 hull number 14, Nakesa. We are cruising the east coast of the US this summer and I would like to find a good yard to haul out and get rudder bearing replaced and have some interior varnishing/repair done.

Can anyone recommend anywhere with good rates and good standards? This is a new cruising ground for us.

Thank you

Graham

Nakesa, Prickly Bay, Grenada

12 February 2011 - 03:13

Graham -

There may be others of course, but Jamestown Boat Yard in Jamestown, Rhode Island, has an excellent reputation for doing all kinds of work on Swans - from easier work to major overhauls. I believe they have worked on boats from this association, some of this work maybe having bee done for prior owners. They do not have a huge facility, but they do excellent work, so I am told. For my part, my boat is on the Great Lakes, so I haven't been to RI in a long time, but they (JBY) has been very helpful to me in providing advice for the projects I have done out here - they seem like a class operation. When I do get my boat out there, hopefully this summer, I will probably moor her there and have them do any new required projects in the winter.

Good luck,

Geoff McLaughlin
Corazon, 411 #41

13 February 2011 - 04:53

Graham, I can personally recommend the Jamestown Boatyard who Geoff mentions. They have a long history of renovating older Swans and have a store room with lots of old fittings too so that you can keep the boat original. Their varnishing and painting skills are as good as I have seen anywhere - particularly if you want the original look. They were also able to re veneer bulkheads for me where there had been water damage or just too many screw holes such as in the galley. I wanted to replace the floorboards, but they suggested stripping them, bleaching them slightly and then re varnishing with many coats and they look like new.
The owners are Swan enthusiasts and have owned two 47's and recently a 45. Clem Napolitano runs it.
Good luck, Gavin

23 February 2011 - 18:15

Hello Graham:

I can also personally attest to Jamestown Boat Yard's quality of work.  I had a complete osmosis job on the bottom as well as a complete Awlgrip of the hull on my Swan 43.  They did a great job staying per schedule and per budget.

You can go to their web site via the link from the home page of this web site and look at some of their completed projects.  You wil see my boat on this web site as well.  The best contact person there would be Andy Dickinson who looked after my boat during the refit.

Good Luck,

Hiro

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0