Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Water Maker,self steer, power
05 March 2011 - 18:20

Water Maker,self steer, power
Hello folks - I am trying to set up some projects to support ocean crossing. I must have a water maker, possible self steer set up, and definitely some kind of power maker. If anyone has feedback on my first pass list, or other recommendations, please let me know. Water maker - Schenker, 30 l/hr 'smart' system; self steer - Hydrovane, power system, I am thinking flexible solar to deploy on coach roof, plug into the electrical system at a point near the main hatch, 50-100 watts, regulated, back up is a redundant array and some other parts, regulator, e.g. I also saw sat phone called for in some new safety specs, and although I have EPRIB and SSB, the idea appealed to me - on the other hand, out of touch is out of touch and there's really only one level of emergency, and the EPRIB does that, right? Any thoughts on that? Thanks as always to everyone - and fair winds....

Geoff
Corazon 411 #41

06 March 2011 - 09:07

Dear Geoff,

I installed a Schenker watermaker seven years ago, the 30 l/h, and I am really satisfied. I usually switch it on every day (during my summer cruising) for 1,5/2,0 hours (no comment for my water consumption please...!) and never had a single problem. I must say I really take care of it in winter time, and I had it overhauled once (just in case...).

It's an incredibly reliable item, consumption is very low, and it's really quite operating (you can't hear it running).

Between 1 and 10= 10

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

06 March 2011 - 10:29

[EPIRB.....not EPRIB, sorry for the typos in my original post] Further to that point, sat phone v SSB and EPIRB, does anyone know sat phone approximate cost to install and run? As for SSB on a north Atlantic crossing, I would assume one could always be in contact with a land station, if coming out of Rhode Island and taking more or less a great circle east, up and just under Newfoundland....so, what would the sat phone do for us, if anything (I can just see spending thousands so my sons can sat-txt their girl friends...man!). Any input appreciated, and thanks,

Geoff
Corazon 411 #41

06 March 2011 - 12:20

Hi Geoff, the equipment may depend on what will happen later. Are you planning on a single ocean crossing (maybe with a return trip), or will multiple crossings follow? Personally I think that for a single trip you can easily improvise.
A watermaker is fine, but you can also take lots of water in five-liter plastic bottles. If I had had a choice when crossing, I would have preferred the watermaker, though: it is still a very convenient item after the ocean passage and does not take too much space.
The windvane is a very helpful item during the passage as well, particularly if you are short-handed, but I think it is really useful on long legs only. If you will be anchor-hopping afterwards, will you keep it on the stern? If not, where will you keep it? And what happens when you moor stern-to?
Finally, EPiRB and/or sat phone. Most yachts I know that have EPiRBs have the type that has to be grabbed and triggered manually in an emergency. If you have the time to grab things, you can also grab a handheld GPS and a handheld sat phone (Iridium). Iridium phones were around 1,000 US a couple of years ago, and you could either have an account with a provider or use some sort of prepaid account. Personally, I prefer the handheld to a built-in terminal as, in order to use the latter, you have to still be on the boat. If you ever have to abandon ship, it might enhance your survival chances if you have the GPS and phone with you: call an MRCC.
Of course, having an EPiRB with you works as well. On the other hand, you cannot call home with an EPiRB. If I had to choose, I would use the GPS-Iridium combination, and store both of them in the grab box along with flares and passports. By the way, every once in a while people say that you can also rent EPiRBs and phones. I do not know if that is true but would consider it for a single crossing. Best wishes, Martin

06 March 2011 - 13:59

Geoff, I am hoping to set off this year on a long trip and have been setting up my 411 for some time.

Hydrovane fitted, very good piece equipment. Fitted Iridium Sat phone linked to laptop with Seapro charting software so can download grib files onto charts. SSB fitted because its use is free once installed unlike Sat phone. Certain parts of the world operate very good radio networks especially in the W Indies. I can also down load weather info via SSB to laptop with special software. Old technology is not always bad technology!

Just about to fit water maker. I am going for Dessalator. 60 lt per hour to fit with number of people planned to be on board and my battery charging regime. This should be your main critieria in choosing size required. Particularly this model operates at a stable pressure, unlike energy recovery machines. So the membranes last longer.  www.dessalator.com    The design and technolgy is also well proven i.e. not the latest or newest, with a good dealer network across the world. 

06 March 2011 - 20:17

HI All,

Seems like we will have to be careful or we might bump into one another!! Lots of us heading out next year!!! We are also taking off in our 40. OK to our gear selection.

Watermaker: PUR 35. It was free and it has the manual option so if we have time we can "quickly" remove and put in the liferaft.

Windvane: Windpilot Pacific. easy to take off when in harbor and has a good reputation.Yet to buy.

Power: 340 watts of solar panels and a 150 AMP alternator on the engine.

EPIRB. Have one from the last crossing. Want an extra for in the Liferaft

SSB: Have one.

Iridium Phone. Have one available.

If I had to choose I would have the SSB due to the ability to join discussions on the nets including weather routing, downloads of weather files and email and low cost.

Sounds like we should should try to link up.

Our plans are to leave Denmark in July heading to Scotland and through the Caledonia Channel. From there to Portugal and on to the Canaries to join the Arc. Then wander around the Caribbean until Antigua boat week. At that point the rest of the trip will be discussed.

Cheers from Stormsvale.

17 March 2011 - 11:14

Dear Geoff,

I have just fitted a wind vane steering to my 41. The type is Neptune, made in the UK, and about half the price of the Windpilot. I have chosen a servo pendulum as it can be removed by releasing one bolt. The servo rudder can be swung up out of the water when motoring.

I had a hydrovane on my last boat, and found that the rudder vibrated so badly in the propellor wash that the unit kept breaking the locking pin. This is a little known problem with a fixed rudder type, but can be a real problem. It obviously depends upon the propellor position and may be OK on the 411.

The Neptune unit seems well made with very strong castings, but only time will tell as to its effectiveness. The mounting bracket fitted with 4 bolts either side of the backstay knee, I was amazed at the thickness of the transom at this point, there is clearly no problem with the strength of the mounting. With the windvane removed, the existing swim ladder can still be used.

regards Cosmo Little  (Trinket)

19 March 2011 - 00:46

Martin, John, Mike and Cosmo - and Matteo -

Thanks to all of your for your help and input......I will be making my decisions soon and will let everyone know how it works out.

My new toe rails are going on this week, and that job is going well, expecting my new saloon table and stbd cockpit (life raft locker) newly molded seat (with the teak and the works) to arrive soon, too - cannot wait to get her in the water -

Fair winds to all -

Geoff
Corazon
411 #41

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1