Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Ground tackle, Swan 41,411
23 March 2011 - 11:21

Ground tackle, Swan 41,411

Dear all,

I would be interested to know what ground tackle members are fitting to these boats for extended cruising to areas where anchoring becomes much more important. The problem with these boats is that they have very fine bows, and it is easy to end up bow heavy. I don't think Nautor considered anchoring very seriously as there was no provision in the original design for a bow mounted anchor, winch, and chain pipe.

I have 35m of 10mm chain with 20m of warp. The main anchor is a 15kgm Bruce copy mounted on the bow roller. The winch is an old manual Goiot. The chain is all stored forward of the front bulkhead. There is an additional CQR anchor (15kgm) stowed on the deck just forward of the mast. I assume this was the original anchor supplied by Nautor.

I don't consider 35m of chain adequate. I would like 60m, and a 20kgm anchor (at least). However I am already too much bow down, and if I add all this extra weight right forward this will be worse.

One option is to store the chain further aft, however it will then need to be fed out through the forehatch when required, with inevitable damage to the teak hatch trim.  I always like to have an anchor ready for immediate use. I think the best solution is to have a limited length of chain forward, and a further length in the bilges aft of the mast step (or even under the floor of the passage way to the aft compartment , what I call the dog kennel). This will need to be joined to the main length when it is required.

What solutions have you long distance cuisers devised?

Cosmo Little (Trinket, 41/31)

23 March 2011 - 21:42

Hi Cosmo,

we went with a 32kg Bügel anchor, 95m stainless chain (duplex steel), and a 1500W Lofrans electric windlass on our circumnavigation 2006-2009 with no issues on 47/013 VERA. The stainless chain selfstows very nicely in the forward bow locker. The anchor is on the heavy side, which is good. The chain was always long enough. I think 60m should be the minimum. Read STEVE DASHEW CRUISING ENZYKLOPEDIA. He recommends heavy anchor + long but light chain. I would consider a ROCNA 20-25 kg + 80m stainless chain for a 41. Make sure to buy Duplex steel if you are going stainless. Our chain dates from 2002 and is still spotless after 45k miles or so. An electric windlass is a no brainer. Manually you will be to lazy to reanchor even if you are not really happy with the spot or the holding. Go for 1000W. Lofrans is cheap, but did the job nicely. Yes, the gear is heavy and it pushes the bow down, but the greatest risk is to loose the boat do to bad holding in a less then ideal anchorage.

Best regards, Michael

24 March 2011 - 12:26

Hi Cosmo,

I have a Swan 411 and carry a 45lb CQR plus a Fortress aluminium anchor, which I use as stern anchor. In addition I have an old Danforth, which came with the boat and which I have never used. The CQR has 60m of 10mm cable and a further 40m of multiplait. I have a Lofrans Progress II electric anchor winch. The anchor cable goes direct down into the chain locker. The anchor cable has to be carefully laid as it comes up otherwise it forms a mountain and collapses when heeled, which causes a tangle when heeled. I have fashioned a wooden plug to block off the hawse pipe when on longer passages. I suspect that any racing sailor would object to the weight up front and the pitching which that must cause, but I don't race and prefer the convenience.

Cheers

Anthony

25 March 2011 - 01:11

Hello Cosmo,
We just returned from a road trip of New Zealand's South Island, and I saw your question. I share your concern about the weight, and that Nautor really didn't intend on it. That being said, we gave it a try and came up with a heavy, well balanced boat by the time we had loaded it with the solar panels, wind pilot, etc. in the aft end. Our anchor is a 27kg. Ultra from Turkey (wonderful anchor), and we use all chain of 10mm by 92 meters. Our windlass is an electric Lofrans. Before we loaded this gear,, we calculated the weight and placed the equivalent weight in men on the foredeck to check trim. No problem once the aft gear was installed. Like I said, we are heavy, but sail well in all kinds of sea (probably not as fast as we once were, but cruising is about going slow for long distance and preserving the gear, right?) Good luck with everything. It will work out.

26 March 2011 - 15:11

Hi Cosmo.

On my 411 I have as Bower 45 Lb CQR attached to 50m of 10mm calibrated chain spliced to 50m multiplait. Lewmar V3 windlass with additonal chainstopper on deck. I also use a chain snuber when anchored.

My spare is a Fortress with 10m of 10mm chain and 50m of 35mm flat "Ankorline" on a reel. I am currently looking for a Rock Anchor.

I tried this winter a 25Kg Rocna, but I would have had to make a lot of changes to the stemhead roller etc to get it to work. They are very large for the weight. I might try fitting a 20Kg later. Very good anchors!!!     

30 March 2011 - 15:14

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Last weekend I made a plywood template of a 20kgm rocna anchor from their clever downloadable paper pattern, and discovered it definitely will not fit. The problem is the centre support for the pulpit. I then borrowed a 20kgm claw type ( bruce copy) and this looked good, in fact I am now trying to find a 25kgm claw .  I will be ordering a 60m length of 10mm chain (galvanised) .  The installation of an electric anchor windlass I am still considering as it is a lot of work, with all the cables, relays, and switches that it would need. I have never been happy with the so called waterproof deck switches that are foot operated. Everone I have talked to seems to have had trouble with these.

PS every anchor seems to be made in China these days, even the rocna!

Cosmo Little

30 March 2011 - 20:17

Hi Cosmo,

in this case, I‘d also consider a German BÜGEL anchor 20-25kg. Steve Dashew used to be a great fan of the BRUCE type anchors, but always argued that these HAVE to be on the heavy side (above 40kg) to break through the surface layers of the ground. He than switched to ROCNA. We tried a ROCNA 30kg on our bow roller, but it did not fit. It would though with some alterations. In my opinion, the BÜGEL is the best anchor, safe the ROCNA, and it fits the Swans bow nicely + is not made in China. You can even get a beautiful executed stainless version from WASI in Germany. Galvanized chain is ok, if it self stows the full length in your anchor locker, alone, and with no help from any crew. Ours did not. We had seen solutions with a tube through the v-berth further aft, but that looked so ugly that we bought a stainless chain instead. This was definitely a good choice. I‘d also honestly recommend the electric windlass. Its one of the most important safety features on our boat. We had no trouble with our foot operated switches whatsoever. Make sure to spray them well with WETPROTECT.

Best regards, Michael 47/013 VERA

02 April 2011 - 01:05

Hello;

I don't agree that the entire anchor line needs to be chain. The purpose of the chain is: 1) to cause the anchor to lay properly and bight into the bottom by controlling the shape of the catenary, and 2) to resist abrasion of the line.

On my Swan 41, I have a 35 lb Bruce anchor connected to 25m of 5/16" galv HS stud link chain and 100m of 1" nylon braid. It is connected to the foward buckhead by means of a pad-eye (which is only there to prevent loss). I also have a Lowrance electric 1000W windlass.

This configuration works very well in a variety of conditions and does not over-weight the bow.

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1