Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Standing rig - locking device at spreader
10 April 2011 - 15:00

Standing rig - locking device at spreader

Dear all, and in particular the Professor;

I have changed the standing rig this winter, and when the new wire was delivered, it seems to me that the detail (small cylinder) attached to the wire for locking on to the end of the spreader is not right - se enclosed photos. I would have thought that the arrangement must lock against movement up and down, but this has been made in such a way that the cylinder will not fit inside the end of the spreader, hence it will only lock against movement upwards. Any comment would be apreciated, and does anyone know the correct dimensions of the cylinder?

Kind regards,

Terje.

11 April 2011 - 09:11

Good question!

On our boat there is a device against the spreader moving DOWNWARD! I think this is one for dear Lars. We are also just changing our standing rigging so we would be happy to know what is the right answer?? (Despite the fact that up to now we had no problem)

Thanks professor, and kind regads.

Philippe 41/022

11 April 2011 - 18:41

Hello Philippe,

It seems that the problem I adressed started with the crew who help at the yard. I am fairly sure that the small cylinder goes below the spreader, and that it is sufficient to have the spreader locked from downwards movement.

Rgds, Terje.

11 April 2011 - 20:20

Dear Terje
The swaged fitting on the wire should be below the spreader end, and prevent it from sliding down. The correct vertical position is when the spreader bisects the shroud angle.
The diameter of the swaged fitting is not important, except that it must not fit through the slots in the spreader end.
Afraid that the shrouds need to be taken out from the spreader ends in order to get the swaged fittings into their correct position. This requires that either the wire is turned horizontal locally, or the spreader is twisted into vertical position. Unstepping the mast for this is perhaps not necessary if the boat is tied up sideways to a dock, and heeled over with the spinnaker halyard towards the shore some 10 degrees. The lower end of the shroud on that side should be disconnected from the chainplate so it hangs straight down. Now two guys need to go up to spreader level in a lift, one removes the spreader inner end from the mast and twists it, and the other takes out the shroud from the end, and puts it back in the new position. Twist and attach spreader to mast, connect shroud lower end - ready.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2