Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Mast step
16 April 2011 - 09:26

Mast step

Over winter boat`s mastfoot was regalvanized and when putting back into boat, the peace of paper on which measures to mastfoot position were written, was missing. So had to put back where it most likely had been placed before. That appeared to be little wrong so now mast approx one inch more forward than before. Understand ajusting bolt at mast step only supposed to be used when mast not stepped. Is that right? Will it affect boat`s sailing in any way like more efficient up wind? Other than modifying floorboards around mast slightly, which I can do, it would be okay not to have to lift mast again. Experience to mastfoot position in general would be very interesting to read. Thorbjorn / Ravn 411-36.

18 April 2011 - 20:08

Ravn, please see attached photo. I used a very large hammer to make the big adjustments together with the bolt for fine adjustments. I experenced no problem, the masts rigging was not tightened down.  I put grease on the plastic pad before re assembly.

John 411/10   

18 April 2011 - 22:46

ravin.

As John states you can adjust the rake of the mast with the rig in place. It is important to slacken all the shrouds and backstay to reduce the load and the 4 bolts in the slotted holes. if this is done you should only need to use the jacking bolt and not a hammer!

regards

Paul 411-042

19 April 2011 - 05:29

Over winter boat`s mastfoot was regalvanized and when putting back into boat, the peace of paper on which measures to mastfoot position were written, was missing. So had to put back where it most likely had been placed before. That appeared to be little wrong so now mast approx one inch more forward than before. Understand ajusting bolt at mast step only supposed to be used when mast not stepped. Is that right? Will it affect boat`s sailing in any way like more efficient up wind? Other than modifying floorboards around mast slightly, which I can do, it would be okay not to have to lift mast again. Experience to mastfoot position in general would be very interesting to read. Thorbjorn / Ravn 411-36.

Thorbjorn

As others have said, this adjustment is for rake of the mast - and should be done with the mast in, and the rigging loose just a little bit. If the foot is now forward an inch, the head of the mast is aft probably 7.5 inches (the location at the partners where the mast comes through the cabin top is like the fulcrum - it doesn't move fore or aft - and the mast is just a long lever, like a child's see-saw toy). Lots of rake can make some boats point a little higher, but often this will add excessive weather helm. A little weather helm is desired (so the boat will come into the wind if you fall over) and a little more power for pointing is desirable, but the fine tuning of these parameters can require some experimentation and note taking over several sails in several conditions to get it down. You'll want to see what you can get just out of the backstay tension before adjusting the step for more rake, and even when you get to that point, go slow, as there is a big magnification of mast head location to step movement. I have my mast adjusted so that the rake is very slight, the mast is very nearly straight. I can give it a little more with my backstay adjustment, and that's all I have needed, I find. I sailed my last boat with extreme rake, and whatever I got in pointing was lost in unnecessary steering effort (although that boat was a tiller driven boat, and at 34 feet, driving with a tiller can get tiring, especially if you have beaucoup weather helm). I believe the 411 manual is on this site in the maintenance section maybe - look around, it's here somewhere, and I believe it talks about this directly.

Best Regards,

Geoff
Corazon 411 #41

28 May 2011 - 16:40

Hi John,

Your mast step and mine don't look the same!  Yours is beautiful and mine is corroded.  I plan to attempt this same project this winter - can you provide advice?  Did you need to fabricate a new step?  Any corrosion at the bottom of the mast?  If so, did you cut off a small section?  what is the tan material used to protect the bilge?  Mine is sealed with a black substance that seems to be doing a great job but I am still looking over the entire boat.

Thanks,

Chris

30 May 2011 - 11:45

Chris, the inside of the hull is covered in something called "Flow Coat" which is a type of gel coat with added brown pigment. Most yards can get hold of this product. The mast did have some corrosion at its bottom due to it sitting in water as the steps 4 drainage holes were blocked. I take the mast out every couple of years for survey and any work. The mast has had a small bottom section cut off and the mast step platform raised by the same amount. I took the whole step out and re galvanised the plate some years back. Sprayed the alumimium step grey. Replaced the friction / insulation pad. I don't use the mast wedges it's too hard, but now use "spartight" a liquid rubber which forms a permant ring of rubber at the collar so taking mast in/out is very easy.  I found that the stainless bolts holding the the galvanised plate to the hull need checking for tightness each year as they can work loose.  I hope one year to replace the galvanised plate with a stainless one, decreasing the mix of metals and any likely problems.   Hope this helps.

John B 

30 May 2011 - 13:22

Hi John,

Thank you for the helpful response. I plan to step the mast this winter so I can repair the mast step. I think your job looks as it would on a new boat - if I can achieve a quality result like this I will indeed be happy.

I will keep in touch and let you know about my progress - in the meantime, I am trying to get the boat ready for launching in about a month.

happy sailing.

Chris

13 June 2011 - 14:07

Hi All,

The mast step on Circe (43/041) looked nothing like the photo John has given above.  The foot of my mast was badly corroded and there was a split approximately 2" long.  The step appeared to have been alloy, the remains which were mostly a white powdery mush that had been pushed up into the base of the mast (causing the split).  As a result, the foot of the mast apeared to be bearing directly on the mast support beam.  Not pretty (see below)

Is the set-up John has shown standard?  Are there any drawings abd/or sketches of how the mast step should look.  Any help here would be most appreciated as I currently have the mast away for repairs and the hull out of the water for some basic repairs and maintenance.

Regards
Andrew

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0