Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Single point lifting
18 April 2011 - 23:04

Single point lifting

We have recently launched Hierro from a boatyard, where unfortunately the boats need to be lifted from the travelling hoist, to the water, by crane.The complications of transferring slings, positioning the lifting frame etc. are not good for my stress levels, so apart from changing boatyards the option of using the single point lifting eye fitted to the 411 seemed worth investigating.

Has anyone used this method of lifting any of the S&S boats? I am interested in the arrangement of the lifting strop to the crane hook and how the yacht balances fore and aft, does any extra weight such as anchor chain up foward need to be removed prior to lifting?

Any advice or tips from practical experience would be appreciated.

regards

Paul 411-042

19 April 2011 - 05:42

Paul:

I have not myself, but from an engineering perspective, I think one would have to expect some tweaking to get the fore and aft balance close, unless you were basically stock cfg, but even then, you'd hook it up, lift her a few feet or so, and see how it looked - you'll just need to be ready for that. I would think laterally any imbalance will be lost in the shuffle. If the bow is riding low due to anchor compartment weight, two guys with lines on the stern cleats could keep you out of trouble for the hoist and the move to the launch area, but obviously they'd lose their ability to keep the stern don once the boat was being lowered, so the ultimate imbalance cannot be extreme. I know I haven't offered much - I've been wondering myself about it. I have a 2 part lift/launch where I get picked up by a crane, which could more easily use the single point, then put on a travel lift. I actually changed boat yards by 100 miles to get away from a high stress (for me) lifting operation that I just could not do with this boat - it was bad enough with my previous boat for ten years - there was no way they were touching the Corazón. Best of luck...

Geoff
Corazón 411 #41

19 April 2011 - 13:13

Dear Paul and Geoff
A Docking Plan showing the arrangement for single point lifting was included with the Owner's Manual drawings.
The 411 should balance quite well as the lifting lug is located at the longitudinal center of gravity, but it would be appropriate to evaluate the situation immediately when she gets off the ground.

For some models the lifting lug is not at the C.G., and then auxiliary lifting strops are necessary, this is shown on the respective Docking Plan.

Where the strop passes through a hatch it is recommended to make an insert that centers the strop, and prevents it from chafing on the hatch edges. The longitudinal balance can be affected somewhat by positioning the strop hole in the hatch insert. Moving it forward lifts the bow, and vice versa.

In many countries the requirement is that the lifting strop and components need to have a breaking strength of at least 6 times the weight of the object, or the stated SWL (Safe Working Load) for the strop has to at least equal this weight.
It is suggested that you check this before lifting
Best regards
Lars

19 April 2011 - 14:13

Dear All,

please see attached drawing as supplied in the Owner's manual of S&S Swan 411

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

19 April 2011 - 15:05

Matteo,

do you have similar plans for the 48' ?

thanks

sergio
Clarion of Skye

19 April 2011 - 16:15

Dear Sergio,

I will check later tonight from my home computer (here in my office I don't, but I am running S&S Swan Association stuff from my home one)

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

19 April 2011 - 19:32

Dear Sergio,

I'm sorry I do not have it, but I think this may be helpful (once you have lifted her!)

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

19 April 2011 - 20:58

Dear All.

thanks for the advice. I will check with our local lifting equipment supplier for the correct size of wire sling and joining shackles, before discussing the option with the boatyard.

If I use this system I will report back, which may be of interest to others.

thanks again.

Paul 411-042

19 April 2011 - 21:43

Single point lifting

Dear all

Use this method to take her up and found it easy and reliable. Have a frame as Lars mentioned to balanse her.

Regards

Hĺkan 38/57 Arajata

28 April 2011 - 00:28

Hakan.

Thank you for the photos, I note you are using nylon webbing slings for lifting. I had come to the same conclusion that these were more suitable than wire strops. You show the boat being lifted without the rig, have you lifted with the mast in place?

I assumed that the single point was on the centre of gravity of the hull and rig, I wonder if Lars can confirm whether boat will balance with the mast in place, or whether it is designed to lift the hull only?

Regards

Paul, 411-042

28 April 2011 - 07:35

Dear Paul,

the boat are designed to be lifted with the mast in place. This was a specific request of Rod Stephens. He thought that travel lift were not available all over the world, and if you are in a hurry and have to lift the boat, for example, in a commercial port, you can easily find a single point lift (e.g. those used to put containers on carriers), but are unlikely to find a travel.

These are Sparkman & Stephens designed boats!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

29 April 2011 - 17:53

Paul

No I always lift the boat without rig so I compensate that weight  by moving the centre about 100 mm backwards with a piece of wood (as you can see on the photo, there is a larger piece of wood in the frame on the front side of the hatch).

Regards

Hĺkan 38/57

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1