Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 38 Advice Please
25 April 2011 - 13:42

Swan 38 Advice Please
I am buying a Swan 38 and would appreciate some advice

1. I want to update the autopilot which currently is a "rubber band" type directly onto the wheel. I want to remove that and fit one below decks onto the steering quadrant. Any thoughts on make/model/fitting/reliability?

2. I want to install a heater - there used to be one but it has been removed leaving the ducting. Any thoughts on make/model/reliability/quietness?

3. The deck needs to be "serviced". Many dowels have popped out/mastic coming out/area around mast well worn out. Any advice on method of restoration

All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Tom Barth

25 April 2011 - 14:13

Dear Tom,

onboard Only You I have a Raymarine S1 engine, which works, below deck, to the wheel, if you want to work on the quadrant you can install a linear drive unit, which Raymarine has, and I think even other brands. I installed my unit in 2003 and have no complains since then.

I can't help about the heater as you quite do no need it in he Med, but many friends, even in 38's have Webasto and are quite happy.

Could you please post some pics of the deck?

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

25 April 2011 - 14:49

Here are some photos of the deck

25 April 2011 - 14:51

Here are 3 more photos of the deck

25 April 2011 - 19:40

Dear Tom,

The area around the mast is plywood, so there is nothing you can do if not changing it.
The dowels are popping out as The wood is consumed, you should get out the screw, very carefully get a deeper hole without going too deep... and re install the screw and a new dowel on top of it. Not a difficult task but time consuming.
About the caulking you should cut away the part which is above the wood level, with a very very sharp knife. Do not sand the deck if you have not cutted the surplus caulking before.

Restoring a teak deck is not difficult, but you should have a lot of time and patience...!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

27 April 2011 - 14:03

Hi Tom,

Congratulations with your Swan 38.

We have a Raymarine Linear unit attached directly to the quadrant. The installation is not quite straight forward since the space available is very limited. But it is possible and we have been very happy for the result. We are on our way (by plane)to Denmark to prepare our Swan 38 “Jacaranda” for Summer-Cruising in Scandinavia and if needed I will be happy to send you some pictures of the installation. Concerning the heater we have an Eberspacher – working very well.

Jorgen “Jacaranda” 38/59

29 April 2011 - 15:52

Hi Tom,

Congratulations with your Swan 38.

We have a Raymarine Linear unit attached directly to the quadrant. The installation is not quite straight forward since the space available is very limited. But it is possible and we have been very happy for the result. We are on our way (by plane)to Denmark to prepare our Swan 38 “Jacaranda” for Summer-Cruising in Scandinavia and if needed I will be happy to send you some pictures of the installation. Concerning the heater we have an Eberspacher – working very well.

Jorgen “Jacaranda” 38/59

Hi Jorgen

Many thanks for your reply

Photos of the drive would be very useful - please can you email them to me

Kind regards

Tom

25 May 2011 - 13:10

Hi Tom,

we made the same experience like Jorgen installing a Raymarine Linear Drive into our 38. Very small space but it works. The advantage was a very experienced Danish boatyard which made a great job.
We use also an Eberspacher heater. The optimal size is the Airtronic D4 positioned in the normally not real used stern locker behind the helm. My special tip is to use today easy available insulated air tubes which increases the temperature in the saloon dramatically ( approx. + 2-5° C.).

Good luck

Jan 38/85

29 May 2011 - 23:45

Very many thanks to everyone for their advice
Tom

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0