Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Lazy Jack on a 411
29 April 2011 - 15:26

Lazy Jack on a 411
I am planning to set up a Lazy Jack system for my 411 and I would try to build it myself.
Before starting the job I have few questions for people who may have it already mounted, possibly in the same kind of boat.
1) Three diverging lines reaching the boom are enough or four (or more) are better?
2) What kind of geometry is advisable?
3) The upper point at the mast should be right at the height of the lower spreaders?
4) What size of line would you recommend and which material?
5) I am considering using "low friction rings" instead of blocks; is it a good choice?

Daniel, 411-004

01 May 2011 - 16:38

Hello Daniel,

My humble opinion:
1/ 4 lines on the boom are necessary. " triangles linked to a third triangle on top of the first two on each side. Then one single line to a block under the second spreader.
2/ The upper lines must fit under the second spreader and NOT on the mast. It gets to tight and you end up feeding so much with or without wind to get the sail up. Put the lines on the spreader 200-300mm from the mast.
3/ You need small blocks under the spreaders. Add one side block or a semi-ring on each side of the mast in order to be able to lead the lines to the foot of the mast. This is important since it will allow you to make the adjustments that you might need at different times.

For the rest: simply make good measurements and tie without rings.
4/ The size is probably a matter of quality of the rope. I have 6mm spectra. It works perfectly well.

If you want, I suppose that I could post some pics.

Cheers//Philippe
(farouche 47/050)

01 May 2011 - 21:33

Hi Daniel, I have a few pictures that show the arrangement on a Swan 40. They are each a little over 5 Mb and and can't post them here, but I could send them to you directly if you like. The boat has a two spreader rig and the top is fastened at the mast about 1/4 way down between the upper and lower spreader. The first bullet block is about 2/3 the way to the lower spreader. The second bullet block is a foot or so below the lower spreader. The locations on the boom appear to be about 20%, 45%, and 75% back from the mast. The boat came this way and seems to work well. It requires a bit of care when raising the main to keep the full length battens from catching, but works like a charm when lowering. There is considerable extra line which runs through a cheek block on the boom and forward to a cleat also on the boom. This would allow me to lower them out of the way when raising the main, but I haven't tried that.
Regards,
Alan

03 May 2011 - 17:51

Daniel, one of the things I looked at some time back was using the Dutchman system. One of the other threads reports briefly on it saying it was very good. I have asked for further info but not heard yet. Anybody else out there got any experence of this type of lazyjack?

John B

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0