Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 411 life rafts
03 May 2011 - 14:14

411 life rafts
Hello all:

Back in '09, I posted asking about life raft solutions and someone recommended the Viking 6 man coastal valise raft as it would fit in the cockpit locker, which is great. My previous owner had lost the cockpit hatch cover (seat) and put a Switlik hardshell there, which worked for the raft, but gave up the seats and the look. This winter, Nautors made me a new cover for that locker (see pic - came out great), so I can do that. Before I try and sell my Switlik and get a smaller valise, I thought I would check one more time to see if anyone mounts a hardshell forward of the main hatch, under the boom. I looked t all the photos in the 411 but did not see this approach (I have seen it on the 43 and other boats) - maybe the spacing under the vang is too tight? Any other raft suggestions for valise style that fit in the cockpit locker would be appreciated, the more capable offshore rafts with provisions would be best.

Thanks as always,
Geoff
411 #41 Corazon

03 May 2011 - 17:46

Geoff, again from experence, if you put the liferaft under the boom it tends 1. to get wet , spray will come that far in bad weather and 2. it get stood on which then breaks the seal, water then find its way into the case.  I hire my liferaft and the hire company expect you to pay for the damage at service time. 

John B

03 May 2011 - 18:09

Geoff,
my liferaft is actually sitting under the boom in a s/s cradle mounted on a wooden base. If you look at the pictures of 411/004 on this site, although rather small, you may probably be able to see it.
I do understand the concern of John but it was there when I bought Luna Menguante and I was not able to find a better place. It is true that people must be occasionally discouraged from sitting or even stepping on it but it does not happen often: it is not such an appealing place. What concerns me more is the way to move such a weight overboard in case of need, but one really hopes to never be in the situation to face such problem...

Daniel, 411/004

03 May 2011 - 18:16

Daniel

My feeling was - whether my raft stayed in the cockpit or goes on the cabin top - it's not getting deployed unless the cabin top is awash anyway, so getting the 150 lb or whatever it is over the rail shouln't be an issue (from the 'if you have to get it over the rail you don't need to use it' school of thought).....

G

03 May 2011 - 23:29

Life Raft: VIKING, 6 persons RescYou™ Pro fits into the dedicated locker in the cockpit, Pippo 411/22 Naomi

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2