Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 411 stbd cockpit (life raft) hatch cover hardware help needed
24 May 2011 - 18:13

Swan 411 stbd cockpit (life raft) hatch cover hardware help needed

Hi everyone.

(Perhaps the hardware I need is required by other models besides the 411, so if you are not a 411 person, please still read the post.)

I had a new hatch cover made by Nautors.  It came out great, fits great, but I need to get latches for the top (the original hardware is no longer available is the feeling I got from Nautors).  Doe anyone have a good replacement recommendation?

Also, for the saloon table below - same kind of thing, Nautors made me a new one, but the hold down hardware is not supplied.  The yard is thinking of putting helicoils in the cross members, then using thumb screws or similar to hold it down.  Any advice or specific hardware recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks, and fair winds -

Geoff

Corazon, 411 #41

25 May 2011 - 20:50

Hi Geoff,

I have half your problem, one lock is intact, the other broken. Below is how it should look like.

Regards, Christian 411/028

25 May 2011 - 22:42

I found a very close substitute here:
http://www.hr-parts.com/contents/en-us/p563.html

Daniel, 411/004

25 May 2011 - 22:57

Daniel,

you are # one!!!

Thanks a lot and Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

26 May 2011 - 05:05

Daniel:

Thanks very much for that post. It might get the job done. I think in looking more closely at the parts, the piece on the cover is the hard one - as it has a couple of offset bends. I have been thinking of a plunger-style friction catch, like on a kitchen (home or maybe a galley cabinet aboard) cabinet door - a plunger male piece pointing down at the corners of the cover, and female pieces to receive these, screwed or glued to the interior of the locker, so both parts are out of sight.

A variation on that theme might be hooks on the cover, with elastic/bungee cord inside you could stretch into the hooks when the lid was lifted an inch or two.

Both these relate to how much force is needed. Does anyone (perhaps our Professor?) have a feel for how much might be needed to keep the lid closed, like when heeled over hard sailing on a starboard tack. I feel as though not much, but have not thought it through or analyzed it with free body diagrams assuming various heel angles, friction coefficients and crew weight(s) on the lid or what might happen with shifting cargo inside the locker. All that might not be needed if someone knows or has a feeling already.

Geoff
Corazon
411 #41

27 May 2011 - 11:43

Geoff
This is a peculiar application for latches because the load is not along the attachment surface. There are several possible variations as you propose. I could suggest one more –wedges preventing the lid from being opened. The sketch explains the idea.
The stopper blocks at the bottom should be made to slide sideways out of the way for opening, and have knobs for easy access. An arrangement for locking them in harbor would also be good.
This arrangement does not lock itself when the lid is closed, but it would be possible to make such a variation.
The force needed to keep the lid closed when heeled over depends on the weight of the locker contents, and it would be advisable to consider the worst case.
Best regards
Lars

27 May 2011 - 12:21

I have been modifying the cockpit hatch cover in our 41/022 (see previous post on the subject) and might have kept the original laches somewhere in my garage. Would you be interested?

I need to be back in the south of France mid june to find and send them.

Kind regards. Philippe.

27 May 2011 - 13:43

Dear Philippe,

if Geoff does not need them I will!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

27 May 2011 - 15:58

Thanks to all -

As to the latches, Phillipe, I would say I appreciate the offer, but will pass.  I believe I am going to a wedge design (which I have on the aft lazarette covers) or some other, but thanks for the offer. 

Professor - as always, thanks so much for your input, which made me realize what I should have seen already, I have those wedge style on my lazarette covers - maybe that was the Swan standard?  So I will go that way, it works, and will be consistent with the others, etc.  although I might just try one of the 'no visible hardware' options like the elastic or similar plunger detent latch. 

I very much appreciate the input from my fellow S&S Swan friends, everyone have a nice weekend - and as Matteo always says, fair winds!

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

28 May 2011 - 09:08

Geoff
Would suggest the flexible wedges are original.
If you use two wedges pls note that then you probably use two thumbs for opening them. At the same time you need to lift the lid with your fingers, some lid edge outside the wedges needed for this.
Best regards
Lars

28 May 2011 - 19:27

OK Matteo. I will chase in my garage, and will bring what I find in Marciana.
Regards.

01 June 2011 - 01:48

Geoff This is a peculiar application for latches because the load is not along the attachment surface. There are several possible variations as you propose. I could suggest one more –wedges preventing the lid from being opened. The sketch explains the idea. The stopper blocks at the bottom should be made to slide sideways out of the way for opening, and have knobs for easy access. An arrangement for locking them in harbor would also be good. This arrangement does not lock itself when the lid is closed, but it would be possible to make such a variation. The force needed to keep the lid closed when heeled over depends on the weight of the locker contents, and it would be advisable to consider the worst case. Best regards Lars

Hello all

I am hoping to find the company that makes the latches that the Professor was describing. I attach a picture of the similar part which is on both of my lazarette seats. If I can find the same latch and maker, that will be good, so I can have good function as well as consistency. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Geoff
Corazon 411 #41

01 June 2011 - 11:06

Hi Geoff,
all 411´s have those kind of latches to shut the lazzarette hatches. It is a very simple mechanism, reliable, almost unbreakable although not always quickly opened at first try; I am pretty sure that you do not need to shop for them because they can be easily replicated in fibreglass. Instead please consider that in the lazzarette they are on the sides of the seats while you will install them on the back of stbd seats. As they are rather bulky the interference with the body of the seated person might be quite different.

Daniel, 411/004

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1