Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Personal experience on the swan 36
21 June 2011 - 01:41

Personal experience on the swan 36
hi Swan 36 1965-1970 owner
i was serching the WWW for information on this boat but didnt find much, so i would like to hear owner testimonials about this boat
navigation, maintainence, keeping, upgrading
any information is usfull
thinks fot help
regards
sam

22 June 2011 - 09:37

Sam,
I'll be brief, but am glad to elaborate when needed. As a disclaimer, I only have 4yrs of experience with my Swan 36, including several thousand miles both racing and cruising. Each time I'm out sailing, I like the boat more and more. Such a pleasure sailing. The low freeboards give a feeling of being on the water, but the seagoing capacities mean that you are not feeling submerged. A thrill going upwind, the reach can be tricky compared to modern boats speedwise, but she carries her spinnaker perfectly so you have always the possibility of increasing speed. I find her sensitive to weight, and if racing, make sure your crew isn't too overweight with all their equipment. The designed displacement was 6.5tons, but I've been told that most weigh around 7tons. We have a traditional cabin layout, with navigationtable to port and galley sb on entrance. Interior is koto and teak, mainly in good condition, however the main bulkhead should be cosmetically upgraded due to previous owners perforating habits. As the boat is reasonably sized, maintenance is not so demanding. Ours has luckily no teak deck, which is a blessing in such an old yacht. There has been discussions on that issues, and you'll find them by searching. I've tried to keep her traditional, but upgraded the running rigging to dyneema, upgraded the instruments to modern versions and tried to maintain simple rather than complicated breakage prone solutions in everything. Let me know more in detail what you are interested in.

Cheers,
niklas

22 June 2011 - 13:19

Hi Sam,
I'm a relatively new owner of 36/021 and have covered just over 1000 miles since purchasing her in April. I completely agree with Niklas' observations about the design. I'd like to add that I've already found the 36 a fast passagemaker in all conditions. Despite weighing in at around 7 tons the 36 is narrow on the beam by modern standards but has a very slippy hull shape. In light airs and with a little concentration on the telltales, her weight and slippy shape enables her to keep momentum between the faintest of puffs, whereas modern and lighter displacement designs tend to stop-go in such conditions.
I believe what sets these Olin Stephen's designed yachts apart is their uncanny balance. This makes them, as Niklas points out, an absolute joy to sail - particularly to windward. Their feel on the helm tells you so much more than other yachts, making the experience so much more enjoyable.
They also track as if on rails and are exceptionally stiff with a 50%+
ballast ratio. With their narrow beam they may heel a little initially but stiffen up, not relying excessive beam to create form stability.
Compared to a modern yacht you overlook their lack of space and plan your stowage more carefully but their layout is just right for offshore sailing - plenty of sensible and secure hand holds, a well thought out galley & chart table, secure usable head and also secure sea berths. The added bonus at sea is they have a wonderful motion through waves with little or no slamming, meaning off watch crew get proper rest and a properly rested crew is less likely to make mistakes in heavy weather when sea-going routines become more difficult.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Brian.

22 June 2011 - 16:42

think you niklas and brian.

04 July 2011 - 22:08

where to begin? I've sailed Galatea II for over 10 000 M, my father before me probably another 10 000 M all over the Baltic, parts of the North Sea, up the the near top of Norway... and raced many times in the 300 to 400M off shore Gotland Runt race. I planned to sail her across the North Atlantic from Stockholm to New York a few years ago but ended sailing a 411 from Trinidad to Perpignan France instead... So I trust her in (almost) all conditions. Most of the rig is original, the instruments are more resent. I started pushing her to go faster using Maxsea to maximize her performance. Sails helped (we have no roller furling genoa, all hank on fore sails, and a fairly rigid main. I find her interior capacity perfect for 2 maybe 3 people, and I often sail her solo. I live on her for about 6 weeks every summer so she is also a great home. I find her freeboard a bit low for rough ocean crossing, otherwise she is incredibly stable. Beating in flat sea with balanced sails I can go below and cook a meal with no autopilot. I just yesterday beat straight into 25 - 30 AWS doing over 6 kts at 30° AWA with small reef in the main and a 68% jib - smooth... what else do you want to know?

05 July 2011 - 22:46

Andrew here owner of Shaytana 36/#66.
We bought Shaytana in January this year and have been busy making good. We have only sailed her twice and both times have bought tears to my eyes. They sail so so so well, beautifully balanced and not a patch on modern yachts.

Just remember they have personalities

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2