Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - S&S Swan 36 leaky rudder shaft...
18 July 2011 - 07:29

S&S Swan 36 leaky rudder shaft...
Dear Lars, On Galatea S&S Swan 36/60 there has been a continual leak from the rudder shaft, mostly under sail but also in the harbor. Do you have a cross section drawing of the construction and any advise at how to remedy the problem? thanks in advance Pippo

18 July 2011 - 15:52

Pippo Pls follow this link
Regards
Lars

http://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=471

21 July 2011 - 13:29

Lars, thanks for the link. You would happen to have a cross section plan of the rudder assembly? The yard seems to think there is leakage around the fiberglass. a presto Pippo

21 July 2011 - 16:49

Pippo : suggest you ask your father to help you, geezers have a lot of practical knowledge ...

Mannie

21 July 2011 - 17:49

Pippo
Unfortunately I do not have a plan. Assume the leak is between the stainless tube surrounding the rudder stock, and the laminate.
If this is the case there are two approaches - the quick one, and the laborous one.
The quick one is to inject mastic into holes drilled through the laminate terminating against the tube, i.e. into the crack.
The laborous one is to replace the existing laminate around the tube. Particular care has to be taken to get good adhesion and ensure that water can not proceed along the joint surface.
Best regards
Lars

10 November 2011 - 11:56

Pippo
Unfortunately I do not have a plan. Assume the leak is between the stainless tube surrounding the rudder stock, and the laminate.
If this is the case there are two approaches - the quick one, and the laborous one.
The quick one is to inject mastic into holes drilled through the laminate terminating against the tube, i.e. into the crack.
The laborous one is to replace the existing laminate around the tube. Particular care has to be taken to get good adhesion and ensure that water can not proceed along the joint surface.
Best regards
Lars

Dear Lars, Galatea is on land near Stockholm, I'm go up to the yard to look at the rudder problem. I need to go there with the necessary replacement materials. After looking over all the threads on the site I did not find reference to the S&S 36. The recommendation is for : Teflon impregnated Chesterton K-23 or Gore-Tex GFO packing band, of 5 or 6 or 8mm but of what diameter for the 36 ? Thanks in advance Pippo

11 November 2011 - 12:38

Pippo
Unfortunately I do not have this detail on record.
The help of other Swan 36 owners needed pls.
Best regards
Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0