Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Professor: Where does the second main halyard exit the mast?
13 November 2011 - 07:06

Professor: Where does the second main halyard exit the mast?
Dear Lars,
I am looking at rigging a second main halyard on our 40. I have the block at the masthead but no exit, that I recognize at the winches at the base. Any ideas??

All the best

Mike

13 November 2011 - 12:32

In my 411 the lower exit of the second main halliard is on the port side, exactly symmetrical to the other. There is no matching winch on the mast but it goes to a block on the deck and then to one of the winches on the port side.
I generally use it as a topping lift in redundant addition to the spring vang.
Maybe the original configuration of the 41 is similar.

Daniel, 411/004

13 November 2011 - 17:50

Daniele
Thank you for the information.

Mike
A second main halyard is not a standard item, and it is likely there is no exit made. Either free an exit by removing some halyard/lift, or make a new one. The new exit should not be at the same height as existing ones, and the proper lead arranged to a winch or deck lead block .
Best regards
Lars

13 November 2011 - 23:00

Dear Lars and Daniel,
Thanks both of you. I will make a new exit making sure to position the exits so they do not overlap. Another question though.. I now have a halyard inside the mast hitting the mast with every wave. Any ideas that will let me sleep on windy nights. In another boat I fixed sponges to the VHF cable every 2 meters to allow peaceful nights at anchor.
Worrying too much or.....
All the best
Mike and the crew of Stormsvale

14 November 2011 - 09:08

Mike
It is assumed the noisy halyard is coming down close to one side of the mast. Fish out a small bight of it through an exit on the opposite side, put a horizontal pin through the bight, and tension the halyard into a diagonal position, see sketch.
Does it work in your case?
Best regards
Lars

17 November 2011 - 19:10

Dear Lars,

This could work but I hate cutting holes in masts! How are the existing halyards threaded inside the mast at the moment. I have no noise now just concerned about the new main halyard.

All the best
Mike

17 November 2011 - 21:03

Mike
You could also push the noisy halyard towards the opposite side with a stick through an exit on the same side.
Provided you can tell me in which order fore and aft the halyards exit each side, and whether they exit on the same side at the mast head I can tell you how they should lead inside the mast.
There is the possibility that halyards are twisted around each other, this causes additional chafing, and should better be rectified. They can also chafe on the tang bolts which go through the mast.
In view of your trip it would be good to inspect the halyards for local chafe, when the sails are down the critical part is outside the mast and can be inspected. You either have to use a bosun’s chair and go up the mast, or use a messenger to lower the halyard
Best regards
Lars

18 November 2011 - 07:03

Dear Lars,

I will run the new halyard and hope I do not have a noise problem. If I do end up with a banging internal halyard I will tackle the problem as you suggest.

Thanks for the advice with respect to chafe on the old halyards and the trip. I have decided to replace them all this year just to be safe. I will check them for chafe when I remove them. Should give me an idea about the situation in the mast.

More on the trip. We just paid the fees for ARC 2012 and have seven months before we start the trip from Denmark. You can imagine the mood around here. Lots of boat work to do as well!! I have set up a web site and will be putting in some information pictures etc for people who want to follow our adventure. As soon as it is in good shape I will let you know.

All the best and again thanks for your advice!!

MIke and the crew from Stormsvale

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1