Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Mast Step
14 November 2011 - 01:13

Mast Step
I am interested in replacing the mast step on my S&S 40 #39, does anybody know if there are drawings available so I can have one made to the original specifications? Now that there are all sorts of new alloyed metals, what is the most recommended for this application?

15 November 2011 - 13:24

I am interested in replacing the mast step on my S&S 40 #39, does anybody know if there are drawings available so I can have one made to the original specifications? Now that there are all sorts of new alloyed metals, what is the most recommended for this application?

Lars, do you have any information you can share on the matter?

15 November 2011 - 16:15

Dear Rod
Suppose you could get the dimensions from the existing step, but it needs also to be checked whether it fits through the largest hatch.
The metal to use depends on your preferences, pls specify.
It would also be possible to make a new corrosion-free one of G-plate, and assemble it inside the boat if required.
Best regards
Lars

15 November 2011 - 16:47

Thank you Lars, The existing mast step was made out of regular steel and it has been eroding away through the years. I would like to get an idea of how it was secured to the bottom, I see some bolt heads, but I don't know if they are lags or regular bolts either threaded to the keel or with a nut. I don't think they are going to come out in one piece.
I've heard antimony is a good option to make the step out of, as well as aluminium, but I am not sure what is used these days. I don't know what G-plate is, but if I get some information I can probably find it in Fort Lauderdale.

15 November 2011 - 19:42

Rod
The mast step is bolted down with the keel bolts, and their nuts are glassed over. The bolts are cast into the keel and can not be removed.
The original mast step was galvanized steel, and I would recommend this again instead of the metals you mention. Antimony is not used for making strong objects, and aluminium would corrode unless insulated from the bolts and the plywood.
G-plate is high strength epoxy-glass plate, you probably find it under the name G10 or G11. It can be glued together.
Best regards
Lars

15 November 2011 - 22:02

Good information Lars, I was thinking about grinding off the bolts on the mast step, but now I know they are actually the keel bolts. I don't want to touch them unless it is absolutely necessary.
I now understand why you were saying to check if it would fit through the largest hatch. I was actually trying to do some preventive maintenance, but this looks to me like mayor surgery. I still have a few years left on my mast step so I'll leave it alone and just step up on the maintenance. thanks again Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0