Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 43 - Wheels and binnacle questions
29 December 2019 - 19:07

Swan 43 - Wheels and binnacle questions

Hi all,

My wife and I are extremely proud new custodians of hull #059. It’s been a dream for a long time!  But we have a lot of work ahead of us....

Having read most of the posts here over the years, it’s daunting to be the one posting. Here goes;

We have the usual issue of trim tab glassed over, quadrant missing, wheels missing. The original destroyer wheel is present with spokes welded to it! (It’s not a pirate ship :) we will remedy all of this over time. Including removal of the giant TV screen on the binnacle.

question, We would like to get the missing wheels fabricated, I have dimensions from previous posts and design specification. Although the arrangement on the shaft is not obvious. How far off am I in the marked up picture below? And does anyone have a drawing or sketch of the arrangement? We have numerous photos of the wheels.

Thank you,

Dan

Pirate ship wheel

Attempt at understanding the shaft arrangement.

PATRIOT 43/059

29 December 2019 - 22:02

Dear Dan,

congratulation to you and your wife for your "new" S&S Swan 43 and your passion!

Did you look on the Manual which is on the "Technical Papers" of our website? If the info is missing (but I think The Profesor will have an answer for you) I will put you in touch with Hiro Nakajima, who completely rebuilt his S&S Swan 43, hull #046, and actually wrote the manual I am referrig to.

Fair winds!

matteo

30 December 2019 - 06:06

Hi Matteo,

Thank you! And no, I had not seen Lar's document on steering. Very informative, I think the picture below clarifies it for me. 

I have read much of Hiro's articles in the Maintenance Book although the photographs are missing: https://www.classicswan.org/swan_43_maint_01.php

Thank you,
Dan

43/059

30 December 2019 - 18:02

Dear Dan

It looks like yor compass binnacle will need some service. If you are going to re-chrome it pls note the recommendation it this thread
Kind regards
Lars

31 December 2019 - 05:36

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the help. That is interesting and something I would not have guessed. I have found this company in the UK offering a 'non-magnetic' Chroming service.

https://www.bakereng.co.uk/electroplating/chrome-plating/

The brass binnacle and compass bezel appears to be the original Danforth although the compass has been replaced with a Richie. I have found a 5" Danforth Constellation that appears in good condition although it has the flush mount ring. I am wondering if these are easily removed, and if it's a straight swap? Images below

Regarding the steering shaft assembly, do you know if there was a drawing of this?

Thank you,
Dan

31 December 2019 - 06:41

Dear Dan,

I had my Danforth Constelletion restored and binnacle re.chromed by Fuselli Fassio in Genoa, they did a particularly well done job, please see pics before/after.

Contact is: info@fusellifassio.it (Mrs. Roberta Fassio, a very kind and helpful Lady).

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Before

After

31 December 2019 - 08:37

Dan

Maybe you could find a 6" compass?
Referring to the steering shaft assembly, there is a sketch at the yard, but it does not show dimensions nor which threads are right- and which left handed. 
I think the appended photo is more helpful. It is hi-res, but size is reduced when shown on the Forum, if too small it can be sent to you directly
Happy New Year!
Lars

31 December 2019 - 14:11

Hi Lars,

Thank you, that’s great. If it is possible to send the high-resolution photo that would be perfect. That way I have an idea which parts I don’t have, and to give to the machinist.

I also think you're right to be looking for a 6" constellation. It seems that it was stated as 5" in the specification and the existing brass binnacle is also for a 5". But I will keep looking.

Matteo,

Thanks for the info and photographs, I already have those previously saved as 'the gold standard' - Amazing work.

Thank you, really appreciated it,
Dan

Happy New Year!

05 January 2020 - 12:30

Hi,

Only to add - my Wife Ellie found the below drawing of the pedestal from Nautor on board yesterday, very cool.  We have little paper work with her, so this is an interesting find.

2601 - Nautor's standard pedestal for boats with single steering'

For 36' 37' 40' & 43'

Thanks,
Dan

05 January 2020 - 15:12

Hi Dan,

could you please a high res scan of thei drawing for the Association (to be uploaded on the "drawings" section)?

Thanks in advance!

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

06 January 2020 - 11:59

Hi Matteo,

Of course, will do.

Thanks,
Dan (43/059)

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1